Rules and Regulations
PLANETROX COMPETITION – RULES
PLANETROX IS A THREE-STEP PROCESS:
- Each participating band need to register on planetrox.ca and a link to one of their original songs – and a panel of international industry judges will choose 5 finalists.
- The 5 finalists per region will perform live at the final in their area and an audience vote (25%) combined with the panel of industry judges’ vote (75%) will determine the winning band.
- The winning band from each of the regions will be invited to perform at one of Canada’s biggest live music events, the Envol et Macadam Festival in Quebec City from September 6th to 8th, 2018 and will received 1000 $ cash, courtesy of Attraction radio.
- Band members must be 18 years or older to register in the Competition ;
- Subscription only takes place online on planterox.ca. You must register by filling in the subscription form ;
- The cost is 27,50$ CDN (taxes included) and the payment can only be made on the website planetrox.ca ;
- Bands must have a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 6 members. The band must have never produced a CD with a professional company ;
- Musical style accepted are : hip-hop/rap, R&B, folk, pop, rock, indie, punk, ska, metal, électro ;
- To add members to the band once you’ve submitted your registration form is not possible unless you have acquired the agreement from Envol et Macadam, same goes for changing more than a third of the band members ;
- No reimbursement will be given ;
- The directors, officers, employees of PLANETROX or any of its partners or affiliates – as well as their immediate family and anyone living at the same address – are not eligible to take part in the competition ;
- Band must me available between September 7th to 9th 2017,
DESCRIPTION OF THE PRIZE
- The winners of every regional finale will perform at the 2018 Canadian Planetrox final on September 6th during the Envol et Macadam Festival. This will include accommodation at Le Concorde Hotel in Quebec City (for bands living at more than 100 km of Quebec City) on the night of the finale.
- One winning band will pick at the end of the Canadian Planetrox finale to perform a 30 minutes show during the festival as well as a 1000 $ cash prize, courtesy of Attraction radio. This will also include accommodation in Quebec City (for bands living at more than 100 km of Quebec City) for the rest of the festival.
- A winning bands among all the winning bands, from Quebec or on the international level, will be picked to give live performance of 20 minutes on the main stages of the 2018 Envol et Macadam Festival, according to the schedule.
EQUIPMENT AND ONSTAGE RULES
- The organizers will provide a sound and lighting system, which all the bands can use.
- The organizers will provide during the entire competition the basic equipment needed (six-piece drum kits with 3 crash, 1 ride and 1 hi-hat, a bass amplifier, two guitar amplifiers, microphones and monitors. The guitar players will need to provide their own guitar heads).
- The organizers will provide sound and lighting engineers as well as all necessary stage crew.
- Band members will bring any personal instruments (guitars, bass, keyboards, effect pedals, turntables, etc.). Drummers will bring their own bass drum pedal and drumsticks.
- All bands must use the same backline and drums provided by Envol et Macadam. Keyboards and any special equipment – other than personal instruments – will be placed on stage before the concert begins and will remain there until the end of the concert.
- To keep changeover times to a minimum, any band with a left-handed drummer will play either first or last on the bill. All bands must follow instructions given by the organizers and the appointed stage manager. It is not permitted to use pre-recorded sound material (except for sequencers). All bands must play live.
- Cover versions are not permitted. All songs must be original although not necessarily written by the band themselves.
- The total playing time for each band will be of 20 minutes. Pyrotechnics are not allowed.
- Any band overrunning their allotted playing time can be penalized (deducted points) or disqualified. The playing order of the bands will be determined by a draw.
ADDITIONAL RULES FOR LOCAL QUALIFYING COMPETITIONS
There will be a panel of judges at the Qualifying Competitions The judges’ vote (three people) will be recognised people from the music industrie.
There will be no soundcheck in the Qualifying Competitions, except for the first band to play on stage.
- ONSTAGE TIMES
Any band that misses their allotted onstage time is liable to be disqualified.
ADDITIONAL RULES FOR THE PERFORMANCE AT ENVOL ET MACADAM FESTIVAL
All bands taking part in the festival, if possible, be given a 10-minute soundcheck. Soundchecks will be allotted in reverse order to the running order. Which means the band last on stage does the first soundcheck and the band first on stage does the last soundcheck. Times for soundchecks and onstage times will be given to each band.
- PLAYING ORDER
- The playing order will depend of the musical style of the band which will be determinate before August 10th.
- Onstage time given : 20 minutes.
- If any band misses their allotted soundcheck or onstage slot in the festival, the organizers will make all efforts to fit them in elsewhere. However, if this is not possible the band is liable to do not participate.
- The prize must be accepted as such and cannot be traded, sold or transferred. No substitutions will be allowed.
- The winner will release PLANETROX and its respective directors, partners, affiliates, officers and employees from any liability for any damage or loss arising from participation in the competition or from the awarding and acceptance of the prize.
- If unable to supply the prize as described herein PLANETROX reserves the right to substitute all or part of the prize or prizes with a prize or prizes of comparable value.
- The refusal to accept the prize releases PLANETROX from any liability or obligation.
- Any false statement by a participant will see them automatically disqualified from the competition.
- PLANETROX assumes no liability resulting from losses, delays, mistaken addresses or undelivered mail, printing errors, technical malfunctions, computer or telephone, damage to software or computer equipment, fraudulent calls or any other error.
- PLANETROX and its respective directors, partners, affiliates, officers and employees assume no liability of any nature whatsoever in any case where their inability to act resulting from an event or situation unforeseeable or beyond their control, including strikes, lockouts or other labour disputes at their location or the locations of the organizations or companies whose services are used for this contest.
- Participation in this contest signifies the participant’s full acceptance of these rules. All decisions and judgements by PLANETROX are final.