PLANETROX is a worldwide music competition whose mission is to discover the best new bands and expose them to a wider international audience. In 2017, Envol et Macadam will continue expanding its ties to the rest of the world. Alternative bands from different countries will be able to sign up for the PLANETROX auditions and the chance to play at the next Envol et Macadam festival in Quebec City, Canada.
The PLANETROX project is an initiative of Envol et Macadam in collaboration with the City of Quebec. The mission of this international undertaking is to discover the best up-and-coming bands in each of the participating countries and to present them to the public at the Envol et Macadam Festival each September. This edition of PLANETROX will involve Canada, the United States, France, Great Britain, Germany, Czech Republic, Japan, China, Indonesia and Mexico.
Envol et Macadam is Quebec’s top alternative music festival. It continues to innovate and to develop projects that allow local and international up-and-coming artists the chance to take part in an event that annually attracts over 20,000 music fans, as well as many industry professionals. Its programming appeals to a young and hip crowd; Bad Religion, Mastodon, Sum 41, Pennywise, Karkwa, The Sounds, Metric, Malajube, Raekwon, Bloc Party, Hatebreed, IAM, The Exploited, As I Lay Dying, No Use For A Name, Lagwagon, Face to Face, Randy, NOFX, Screeching Weasel, Less Than Jake and Sublime With Rome are but a few of the well-known artists that have played and delighted festival goers at Envol et Macadam in the past years.
PLANETROX a simple process
- Each participating band will register online on planetrox.ca, upload an MP3 of one of their original songs – and a panel of international industry judges will choose a winner.
- The winning band from each of the 10 countries will be invited to perform at one of Canada’s biggest live music events, the Envol et Macadam Festival in Quebec City on September 6th or 8th 2018.
DESCRIPTION OF THE PRIZE
- The national winners will fly to Quebec City to perform at the 2018 Envol et Macadam Festival;
- The prize includes two live performances of 20 minutes on the indoor stages of the Envol et Macadam Festival 2018, airfares for the winning band members (6 250$ CND maximum budget is available – flight/travel costs that exceed this amount are the responsibility of the band) plus internal travel to the hotel from the airport, four-star accommodation in central Quebec City for 4 nights, free pass for the Festival and promotion of your band in festival communications.
The prize only includes what is specifically detailed above, all stopovers and additional nights required by the band, as well as specific fees for instruments, will be at their expenses. Band members must all have a valid passport that is machine readable and acquire the appropriate visa to enter Canada, if necessary. Envol et Macadam will provide a shuttle service from the airport to the hotel but the band will be responsible for the trip back (the taxi is usually around 40$ for that distance).
EQUIPMENT AND ONSTAGE RULES
- The organizers will provide a sound and lighting system, which all the bands can use.
- The organizers will provide sound and lighting engineers as well as all necessary stage crew.
- Band members will bring any personal instruments (guitars, bass, keyboards, effect pedals, turntables, etc.). Drummers will bring their own bass drum pedal and drumsticks.
- Cover versions are not permitted. All songs must be original although not necessarily written by the band themselves.
- The total playing time for each band will be of 20 minutes. Pyrotechnics are not allowed.
- Any band overrunning their allotted playing time can be penalized (deducted points) or disqualified. The playing order of the bands will be determined by a draw.
ADDITIONAL RULES FOR THE PERFORMANCE AT ENVOL ET MACADAM FESTIVAL
All bands taking part in the festival, if possible, be given a 10-minute sound check. Sound checks will be allotted in reverse order to the running order. Which means the band last on stage does the first sound check and the band first on stage does the last sound check. Times for sound checks and onstage times will be given to each band.
- PLAYING ORDER
- The playing order will depend of the musical style of the band which will be determinate before the 10th of August.
- Onstage time given : 20 minutes.
- If any band misses their allotted sound check or onstage slot in the festival, the organizers will make all efforts to fit them in elsewhere. However, if this is not possible the band is liable to do not participate.